Thursday, November 8, 2007

Get a WIFF of this (if you Cannes)....

People who visit this site will probably know that I've blogged about comic book movies a few times in the past, rarely with anything particularly good to say about them as a whole. However, as I've also mentioned, the poor quality of your typical adaptation never stops me from getting excited about the upcoming movies anyway. This time, though, I'm pretty sure I'm not just gearing up for another suckfest.

This weekend, Windsor will be having its 3rd annual International Film Festival (lovingly referred to as WIFF). Of all the films being shown this year, the one I am most eager to see is Persepolis, an animated feature based on Marjane Satrapi's critically-acclaimed graphic novels.


The movie has played at several film festivals, including Cannes, where it won the Jury Prize (I don't know what that means, but I bet it's a good thing). Like many foreign movies, it hasn't seen widespread release. You can probably imagine my excitement, then, when I heard it was playing in my town.

You can probably also imagine my frustration when I heard I would be out of said town when the movie plays.

Don't make the same mistake I did. For those of you living in Windsor who aren't busy this Saturday, take my advice: go see this movie. Let me live vicariously through you. Please?

Persepolis is playing this Saturday, November 10, at 5:00pm at the Windsor Armouries. Tickets are 10 dollars. For more info on the WIFF, you can read Erica W's post or check out the official site.

image taken from Sony's official Persepolis site (linked in text).

P.S. I know I keep coming back to the topic of comic book movies, but I thought it important to talk about Persepolis for this post, both because of its impending screening as well as what its doing for comic book movies (ie, allowing the public to see them as Art-with-a-capital-A). If the next few comic book movies are as mature as this one appears to be, and are received with as high acclaim, I can see only good things for the genre.

Next up: I look at the piece of shit trailer for Wanted.

No comments: