Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Ironing out the Problem

So, the Iron Man teaser has been around for a while, but for those of you who have yet to see it, here it is:



Now, I know that, according to what I said in an earlier post, I should be responding to this trailer with "Mass excitement." And I probably would be in most circumstances. I mean, the non-Home-Improvement costume looks awesome. But for some reason that I couldn't put my finger on, something about that trailer didn't sit right with me.

Then it hit me.

Here is a trailer from Ghost Rider, a movie that I and most of the surface world thoroughly didn't enjoy.



I hope the similarities between the two trailers speak for themselves (the one main difference being that the Iron Man trailer is only a "teaser" and therefore doesn't show as much). There was another Ghost Rider trailer where protagonist Johnny Blaze is told, like with Iron Man's Tony Stark, "You should [be dead]," as well as a similar ending (a prolonged CGI shot of the hero speeding in a particular direction), but I thought the similarities were more palpable in this one.

The fact that Iron Man's trailer is even remotely comparable to Ghost Rider's is, frankly, not good. Don't get me wrong, I'm still going to line up at midnight to see it on opening night, dressed appropriately, but I won't be happy about it.

...no high five?

1 comment:

CPW said...

My main beef with the trailer is their use of Black Sabbath's Iron Man. I mean I don't know what I expected as comic book movies have the worst soundtracks ever and it'd been worse if it had been like Hinder doing a cover but this still shows absolutely no creativity in song selection at all. Also correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Iron Man in the song like a monster that kills people?
I woulda totally used something by like Madlib or Menomena. Eerie and'd bring in the hipsters.