Friday, November 2, 2007

Aaron's Pick of the Week: Putting the "War" in "Warped"

For the week of October 31:

Special Forces #1 (of 6)

by Baker (w and a)

Picking up a new title is no small feat for a comic book collector, especially one on a student's budget (ie me). Of course, someone who never picks up new titles runs the risk of missing out on some truly wonderful books (not to mention the chance to buy a series' Issue 1 before its price skyrockets).

For me, I only venture to try new titles out if A) they center around a character I am familiar with and like, B) they come highly recommended from a friend, or C) they're created by someone Scottish.

Now, Special Forces is none of these. I mean, I immensely enjoyed Kyle Baker's run on Plastic Man. But other than that, I haven't really known him from too much. I've seen his short cartoons about family life (The Bakers), which are pretty sweet and adorable, but not particularly indicative that this guy could write, you know, a good war comic.

But hey, it doesn't cost anything to flip through the comic (at least, not in any decent comic store), and so, as I was picking up my "reliable" titles at Rogue's Gallery, I opened up a copy of Special Forces to page 1.

And what a page 1 it was (warning: graphic, albeit a bit cartoony, violence). For me, it had just the right amount of shock, vulgarity, and violence, balanced out by self-awareness and irony, to make me want to pick up the book right away (note: in the final version of this page, the caption reads "the black guy dies first" as opposed to "the black guy died first").

I'm glad I did pick up this book, because it turned out to be a lot more than just explosions and dark humour. In Special Forces, Baker is making a statement on the Iraq war, on violence, but most of all on exploitation (he's against it).

Inspired by real events, Special Forces is about a group of soldiers who find themselves in the middle of Iraq. However, the reader quickly realizes that they are unlike just about any other company depicted in war stories (I assume). Due to rising pressure amongst army recruiters to meet a certain quota of applicants, this group of soldiers happens to be comprised of, among others, felons, the obese, and a young autistic man called Zone. Needless to say, once thrown into battle, they don't do that well.

The book is funny, true. However, rather than laughing out loud while reading this book, odds are you'll be doing that pissed off laugh you sometimes do (often followed with an "I can't fucking believe you just did that") after a friend does something stupid.

Baker wants you to laugh, but he also wants you to get mad.

A prime example of this is when the company's inept sergeant (who is also their recruiter) accidentally instructs air support to attack their own position as opposed to the enemy's, resulting in multiple casualties. This is not the only instance where the higher ups are responsible for the death of others (hell, that's what the whole comic is essentially about). The incredible loss of life in this opening issue is unexpected and only made more tragic by the fact that none of these soldiers should be fighting in the first place.

Despite the fact that this book fulfills none of my previously mentioned criteria for picking up new titles, I'm really glad I bought this book. You guys should do the same, especially now that it fulfills criteria B) it comes highly recommended from a friend.

Because if you took the time to read this far, you have now become my friend.

-A

P.S: It wasn't until I started writing this review that I realized the title of this comic is a pun.

No comments: