Sunday, November 4, 2007

5 Quick Questions with Jeff Lemire

This weekend I attended Windsor's annual Bookfest, which is essentially a festival celebrating literature of all sorts. Over the weekend, I saw a few different talks and readings, but the one panel that was a must-see for me was Getting Graphic, which not only examined the graphic novel but also gave some insights into life as an independent comic creator. The panel speakers were Michèle Laframboise, George Rizok, and Jeff Lemire. Having read Tales from the Farm a few days ago, I was only familiar with Jeff Lemire's work, of the three speakers (although now I definitely want to check out the other two). I really really enjoyed his book (one of the only comics out there that actually moved me to tears... but shh), so Lemire was a huge draw for me.

The panel was pretty informative, and really allowed the audience to understand what the life of a comic creator was like, covering topics such as the underground scene, fan interaction, artistic collaborations, and those late nights at Kinko's (bottom line: don't become a comic creator for the money).

After the panel I quickly went and purchased Lemire's follow-up comic, Ghost Stories, from the gift shop. As he signed my copy, I asked him if I could quickly interview him for the blog, to which he kindly agreed.


Blogs of Future Past: What was it that drew you to comics?

Jeff Lemire: I don’t know what it was. I guess it was just the drawings. I remember being really young and going in to get groceries with my mom and just being captivated by the magazine rack and the comics. As soon as I was able to recognize them, I was always drawn to them. I can’t say what it is. (laughs)

BoFP: What inspired you to write “Tales from the farm?”

JL: I think I really wanted to try to tell a little bit more personal stories. So many comics are set in urban centers and cities and stuff. I thought, there’s not enough stories set in rural areas. Especially since I came from here, I thought I’d have an interesting perspective on it and I could draw from some of the details. So I wanted to set a story in a rural setting, and it just seemed natural to create a character who was sort of like I was as a kid, and I’d fictionalize everything else.

BoFP: Are there any comics that you’re reading right now?

JL: My favourite comics right now are The Walking Dead, anything Ed Brubaker’s doing – Captain America, Iron Fist, Daredevil, Criminal – All Star Superman’s amazing, and Scalped by Jason Aaron. He’s my favourite writer right now. I think that guy’s going to be a star. Scalped and The Other Side [also by Aaron] are just brilliant.

BoFP: If you could take over a comic book character, would you? If so, which character would it be?

JL: Yes! I’d love to get a crack at a bunch of characters but my favourite guys are always the DC Silver Age characters. I’ve always had a really strong connection to Adam Strange for some reason. I love Adam Strange and also the Unknown Soldier. I have so many stories I could do with that guy.

BoFP: Finally, what advice do you have for any up and coming comic creators?

JL: I think the biggest thing is that if you’re a writer and not an artist, you know, team up with someone so you can do a book. Just do it, and print it yourself and get it out there. The easiest way to get people in the comic book industry to notice you is not to tell them about what a great writer you are or artist you are, but to show them a book that they can see. You have to start somewhere, so just self-publish and start doing it.



You can check out Jeff Lemire's personal blog here.

1 comment:

Chris White said...

Myself and a certain male co-worker also got teary while reading Ghost Stories and Tales From The Farm, respectively. Shhh!